What is Interactive Metronome®?
Interactive Metronome® (IM) is a therapeutic assessment and training program that improves attention, concentration, motor planning and sequencing. Improvements in those areas result in stronger motor control and coordination, enhanced balance and gait, and improved language and cognition.
Who can benefit from Interactive Metronome®?
Children with motor and sensory disorders, learning challenges, speech and language delays, and various cognitive and physical difficulties can benefit from IM.
How does is it work?
Interactive Metronome® provides a structured, goal-oriented program that challenges the patient to synchronize a range of whole body exercises to a precise computer-generated beat. The patient attempts to match the rhythmic beat with repetitive motor movements. IM’s game-like features engage the patient with auditory and visual guidance and provide real-time feedback while encouraging him/her to improve their scores.
Who is involved?
Our Interactive Metronome® programs are designed and implemented by certified IM program providers. The program provider will create a schedule to oversee the established program. Progress and goals are consistently reviewed.
What are the goals?
Interactive Metronome® integrates sight, sound and physical movements to improve:
- Working Memory – The ability to store information and ideas. Memory is essential for word recognition, comprehension of complex sentences and remembering instructions.
- Attention – The ability to focus on information tasks and ignore distractions.
- Processing – The rate at which the patients is able to accurately perceive and manipulate information.
- Sequencing – The placing of detailed information in its accustomed order, for example: days of the week, the alphabet or long division.
- Motor Coordination – The combination of purposeful body movements working together, as in tying a shoe, handwriting, or riding a bicycle.
Requirements to begin:
- Tolerance for headphones
- IM certified or authorized provider
For Children & Adults
– Utilizes latest computer / audiological technology
– Program runs 3-5 weeks
– Music Beat exercises help children increase motor sequencing